Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Not much new on the Perthes front... however....

I wish I could post something interesting and new about Simon and his Perthes. However.... we are so consumed with the weather change and how it's affected Simon's eczema and asthma, that the Perthes has taken a back seat (WAY back!!) He had a bad asthma attack 2 weeks ago and had to go on Prednisone.

The Prednisone kept his eczema (and asthma) under control, but once off that, the humidity and seasonal allergies seem to have sent thing south. Poor guy has little scratches all over his body from itching! We tried stopping his Zyrtec because we thought it might be causing his irritability. However we started it up again because his skin was getting so bad and today he does seem alittle better.

It's so easy to forget how these season changes affects his health! We haven't had these types of problems for several months (and I think we innocently think it's gone for good...). Hopefully in a few weeks things will settle down and we will skate through summer. Fall is always bad for him and his asthma.... so we are gearing up this year to increase his daily inhalers (at his doctors suggestion) to see if we can have a peaceful Fall this year. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't post my name or my blog address on my previous post....not trying to be anonymous...

    If you have any questions for me, you can get a hold of me thru my blog; altho' it's sure been a long time since my son was in that brace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, my blog didn't post....

    it's http://autumnrose-garden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My email is barbara6293@sbcglobal.net in case you run into any questions for me - or my son - regarding Perthes.
    Also, the doctor my son had (and this was back in 1975-78) was a former "extra" in the old "Little Rascals" movies in the late 1930's and early 40's when he was a kid.
    I found a pic of Scott in his brace, and it will be posted on my blog shortly.
    And ALSO, Simon is just adorable!!
    Hugs,
    Barb (posting as "anonymous"....it's easier)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve (UK) here. Not sure how these sites work. Anyhow,here goes: Seems our youngest (nearly 5yr old) daughter has Perthes. My wife got the call from GP today 18/11/11. Been online since. We've been "dogged" with health issues since birth, notably infant colitis, apparently caused by food allergies. Stripped EVERYTHING out of diet and re-introduced over 2 yrs. Eating normally now but the tummy pains for the first 4 yrs at night meant no more than an hours sleep for my wife at a time. Things JUST settled down and now this! Seems like there must be a common thread / link with various conditions or just really bad luck! Of course, it could be worse for the children and we ARE lucky as many are far worse off than ourselves. I've found you're posts helpful and inspirational - thanks. Steve (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve, thanks for posting. I don't have your email to respond to you but wanted to say that I have heard from a lot of parents that have kids with similar multiple health issues like allergies and asthma (then get Perthes). I'm wondering if the allergies stem from autoimmune issues which also may affect clotting properties.... A clot in the arteries of the hip is what starts the whole Perthes process. We saw a natural neurologist last Fall who states there are studies now showing autoimmune problems linking to clotting problems. He felt that simon's allergies were so severe on his blood test that he had the start of an autoimmune problem and this may have caused his Perthes.... Anyway, it doesn't really make one feel better because it is so out of our control and the damage done! All I can say is hang in there. You will feel in an emotional crisis for awhile - maybe a few months- then it will settle down and get normal, then more crisis will arise and you go through the ups and downs of this disease. I hope she has a mild case and hopefully never needs much intervention. We've talked with kids who didn't need much done - so there is hope! Good luck and I would love to keep in contact and feel free to email me your email at staceysnover@yahoo.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete